[Review] Moonshot Perfect Cleansing Oil

I can't believe it's New Year's Eve already (in Australia at least) - how was your 2016? Mine revolved around  starting a new university course, then of course I tried my hand at beauty blogging in the latter quarter of the year. Going to Korea was definitely one of the highlights, especially being able to check out the Bigbang A to Z Exhibition before their massive hiatus. I would like to think I've built upon my leadership skills, but my lack of social skills have definitely stayed more or less the same haha. 

While I'd like to continue trying the whole 'new year new me' mindset, the older I get the more stubborn I become (I'll still add 'staying flexible and adaptable' to my 2017 resolutions tho). 'New year new skin' isn't a thing; fortunately my daily skincare routine is a process I really enjoy. As makeup played an increasingly greater part in my life this year, so has cleansing and ensuring my skin is healthy and clean before I go to bed. When I came across the Moonshot Perfect Cleansing Oil on half price, I had to give it a go.

Claims
-  Has micro pearl powder that removes makeup, cleanses the pores and absorbs sebum
-  Gentle formula and light texture leaves skin refreshed 
-  1 step cleansing that removes even waterproof makeup


Aesthetic
Moonshot aesthetic often delivers and their cleansing oil is no freaking exception. It's a beautiful pastel pink, a colour I used to loathe for reasons I can no longer remember but this shade is pretty. I dispensed the oil and phwoar the glitter is no joke. The first time I used it I had it sitting on my hand for a bit and played around with different lighting angles cause it was super shiny. But the scent is a disaster. I can't begin to describe the smell because it's novel, yet in a cheap, artificial way. 



Click to read the ingredients. The instructions say to use 4-5 pumps, although I'm usually okay with 4 pumps.

First Impressions
First I tried to remove some swatches on my hand. All of the product came off easily after some gentle rubbing and none of the shimmers remained. 


After one wash. See the video for a better idea of how it fares!

I thought maybe the smell was the worst thing about the product, until I tried using it on my face. I haven't felt that sort of burning in a long time - after dissolving my make up and stepping into a hot shower, my face started to flare up and my eyes burned. The stinging was so bad I had to repeat the cleansing steps with my backup cleansers and brought out all of my soothing products that night. For some reason, testing didn't stop there.


Continuing thoughts
Following the disastrous first impression, I gave my skin a few days of rest before trialing the product again, this time showering with cold water since confounding variables are a no-no (unless it's beauty sleep and a healthy diet, which isn't happening anytime soon). The following tests produced more consistent results - my skin became increasingly sensitised and patchy with each consecutive use, namely around my cheeks and neck. It seemed to strip my skin and left my cheeks feeling tight and dehydrated. My eyelids continued to become sensitised and the uncomfortable feeling remained long enough that I didn't even bother removing all of my makeup with the product. For what it's worth, it still did its job in dissolving my makeup, but I sure as hell would not recommend this imperfection.

Where to buy

Moonshot USD $20
Sephora Australia  AUD $37

Wooo I'm glad I could make one more post before the end of the year. Hopefully I'll get to post more regularly in 2017, and I look forward to trying out more different products! I hope you have a fantastic 2017 and find more holy grail products in the future :P

Comments