[Review] Moonshot GD Microfit & Dara Moonflash Cushion

Welcome to the first post of (mostly) Moonshot March! This whole month I'm testing only Moonshot products, with the exception of other brands to cover the categories I don't own a Moonshot product for. If you haven't heard of Moonshot, they're a Korean company that was started by YG Entertainment in 2014. GD & Dara were their first celebrity endorsers and each of them had a cushion named after them - the GD Microfit Cushion and Dara Moonflash Cushion, Over the last week I've been exclusively using this cushion duo for my daily makeup.


The Microfit Cushion comes in a cool holograhic box. The cushion case has a reflective coating on the topside that is easily stained by fingerprints, while the back is matte.


It's your standard cushion which uses a puff to stamp the product onto your face. Each pack contains 12g of product, however some websites do offer a special edition pack that comes with an extra refill.


Moonshot cushion puffs are one of my favourites. The band is elastic and fits snugly over the fingers to avoid klutzy instances of flying, pastel purple puffs. It's dense enough so the shape remains resilient and doesn't warp after washing. If you don't wash it immediately the product can seep deep in the sponge and be difficult to clean, but it's nothing the Moonshot Perfect Cleansing Oil can't fix (you can read my review of it here). Usually I'll soak the puff in enough cleansing oil to cover all surfaces, let it sit for half a day/overnight and then rinse. Too easy.

Claims
"Ultra light Microfit Cushion which express bright skin tone with anti-darkening formula" (from Moonshot website)

- Skin fit effect
- Ultra light formula
- Layerable

Shade
Microfit cushion - 3 shades. 
I have the cushion in shades 201 and 301.


L - 201 swatches. Unblended vs blended
R - 301 swatches. Unblended vs blended.

Apologies for the poor lighting, I'm never home in time for optimal sunlight.


Coverage + Finish
Buildable to a medium coverage. I use foundation to cover up redness and two layers for my cheeks is usually enough to attain this result. Coverage isn't high enough to completely cover some of my scars, which can vaguely peek through.

The Microfit cushion has a semi-matte finish. On first application, it bevens out the complexion and soon sets into a more natural, slightly powdery texture. While it doesn't feel sticky or tacky, it will  transfer throughout the day however it doesn't oxidise much.

Actual Wear


After application. You can see some of my pigmentation still shows up (and that patch of unblended contour on my nose). I used a concealer for my undereyes, and please excuse the muddy looking black spots there which was a result of the Moonshot Line Performer eyeliner smudging.


About 10 hours later. Again, my apologies for the piss poor lighting. Does anyone know an economical light to use for better night photos? 

You can see the colour in my cheeks is more prominent, as is the scar to the bottom right side of my lips. The Moonfit cushion isn't entirely to blame for the flakiness around my mouth (turns out years of mint toothpaste usage has not been doing my skin any favours), however if your skin is flaky it's best to really prep your skin well beforehand because it will accentuate those patches. In Winter last year, the wear time lasted 4-7 hours depending on windy conditions, before becoming very patchy and cakey.  

My skin is more balanced during summer and despite the heat melting away some of the coverage, the foundation left on my skin seemed to blend more smoothly into my skin and looked as if I hadn't applied any makeup at all. 

On a balanced skin day, I've worn the cushion for up to 15 hours and the coverage drops down to a light coverage - the redness around my nose is clearly visible by the end and my cheeks are flushed. The undereye is in need of a touch up and during the day the cushion gathers in the fine lines in the corner of my eyes and must be smoothed out. Also, this cushion is not waterproof. One time I reached the point of tiredness where I yawned so much I was tearing up and you could map the trail of tears on my face after they had dried. So the final verdict is I need to get over my YG fan status and remember this is an average cushion with very natural results and better staying power than BB cream, but I'm sure there are more options out there that will be kinder to my dry skin.

Moving on to the Moonflash cushion.

Claims
"Cushion with Milky pink texture which boosts the look of dull skin and luminizes with invisible pearl

- Strobing effect
- Can be used as both base coat & top coat
- Moisturizing with the cream base combined with sugar cotton" (From Moonshot website)

Shade
One shade only.


L - Moonflash cushion, unblended
Middle - Blended
Right - Moonflash cushion as base; Moonfit cushion on top.

The Moonflash cushion swatches like sunscreen with a whitecast. After blending, it is glowy and contains glitter particles which I find too strong to wear alone on a daily basis. Even over the Microfit cushion I think the strobe is OTT so I use it solely as a highlighter underneath the Microfit cushion for a slightly more natural look. I remember seeing someone suggest this was a CC cushion, but please don't use it that way. I tried adjusting the shade of my neck with this and under the bright lights of a hair salon I became part Cullen.

Actual wear + thoughts 
 When used alone, the cushion feels silicone-y. and contrary to the claim, doesn't feel moisturing. Underneath the Moonfit cushion the luminous finish is lost after 3 hours or less however the glitter particles will always remain, so I've relegated it to almost only evening wear. Given I don't enjoy a habit of nights out on the town, I can't say I'll be repurchasing this.

Where to buy
Sephora Australia - Moonfit + Moonflash
Moonshot website - Moonfit + Moonflash
TesterKorea - Moonfit

Thanks for tuning in today, I'll catch you guys soon.

Vivien | IG @vistillhere

Comments

  1. I was watching MeejMuse's review of this product and she claimed it to be an amazing high end product, yet by actually reading your review and seeing the before and after pictures, I do see that the coverage is not very high and I don't know if I would really enjoy it.
    Thank you!
    Cristina
    www.itstinaz.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts