[Review] Basic Skincare Routine feat. Pearlosophy

 If you're new to skincare, an extensive routine no doubt appears daunting. There are serums and essences, ampoules and treatments etc. etc. and maybe all you're after is healthy, balanced skin. There are 3 key skincare products which will no doubt help you on your way - a cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen. A dear friend gifted me Pearlosophy products, which happened to all be essentials for a basic routine.

Basic skincare routine trio

1. CLEANSER 
O2 Clean Good Cleanser

Whether or not you wear makeup, a good, gentle cleanser is absolutely necessary. During the day you may be sweating, or in contact with lots of dust and other allergens that can cling onto your skin and contribute to a dull appearance. A cleanser can help banish these pollutants, plus it's a great way to wake yourself up if you're not a morning person :P 

Look for cleansers with a pH of about 5.5. This is the pH of the acid mantle on your face, which helps to prevent bacteria from penetrating deep into your skin. 


Claims

All natural ingredients cleanser that can remove your makeup and clean your face at the same time! Yes, you can skip your eye makeup remover, cleansing oil and face wash by using only this!

The swatches

Added cleanser
Thoughts
The original product comes with a cleansing tool, so keep in mind I can only make so many observations from the sample. It smells like candy, but the scent isn't strong enough to be offensive. Jelly-type particles are suspended in the cleansing gel, which doesn't bubble at all.


Post cleansing

 Surprisingly it doesn't irritate my eyes, and it's very effective at removing makeup and even the more stubborn lip products including the Labiotte lip tint. It also does away with basic eyeshadow and eyeliner, without leaving my face feeling stripped.


Other cleansers I recommend
Cosrx Low pH Cleanser (via Wishtrend*or StyleKorean*)
Klairs Rich Moist Foaming Cleanser (via Wishtrend*or TesterKorea)

2. MOISTURISER 
Amazing Beauty Emulsion
Whether you have dry, combo, oily and/or dehydrated skin, keeping your skin moisturised helps to balance out your skin tone. An emulsion is a light moisturiser and because of its thinner consistency it's suitable for all skin types (although drier skin types will want to opt for a heavier moisturiser, especially during winter).

150 mL of product
Claims
(roughly translated from packaging)
Has 8 key effects:
Soothing, repair, hydration, moisturisation, brightening, elasticity, balancing

Thoughts

A little goes a long way



This is definitely a 'slow and steady wins the race' kind of product. The first 2 weeks I was underwhelmed by the product, until I messed with my skin too much. It could have been one or even all of these following factors, but that day I was walking home on an intensely sunny day, had tried a new, irritating cleanser and topped it off by using a peeling gel. In a rush to soothe my raw skin, I tried several products, and the Pearlosophy Emulsion was the only product which immediately calmed my skin down and soothed the pain.  

After using it for a month on just the left side of my face, I still couldn't see any differences in brightening, but there was definitely some lifting action going on. Compared to the right side, my left jawline was slightly more defined and contoured. Another few weeks of testing on the right side only confirmed that it indeed helped to contour my jaw very slightly, whilst the left side returned to its original slackened state.

This product is perfect for summer because of its cooling effects which make it a joy to wake up to first thing in the morning when the sun is already ablaze. Because it sinks in so quickly, I like to follow it up with a more occlusive moisturiser and/or primer to ensure my makeup stays all day.

Other light moisturisers I recommend
This is the first emulsion I've liked. 
Feel free to share your recommendations in the comments below :)

Other heavier moisturisers I recommend

Lanolin Everywhere Multi Cream (Mecca or Adorebeauty)

3. SUNSCREEN 
Dual Head Sunblock SPF 50+ PA+++ 
Sunscreen can protect you from UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays penetrate deeper into your skin and are responsible for causing skin damage, leading to premature aging, sagging and wrinkles. UVB rays will cause sunburn and can lead to skin cancer. Sunscreens are commonly labelled as 'chemical' types or 'physical' types. 'Physical' sunscreens will use zinc oxide or titanium oxide to protect your skin whilst 'chemical' sunscreens use other components.  Products can also be a combination of the two types. (Bonus - KindofStephen has a great article on why it's more accurate to label sunscreens as organic/inorganic and addresses some myths about them.) 




Claims

Dual Head Sunblock with SPF 50+ PA+++,protects you from UV rays. With the innovating spray head, you can add on sunblock to any part of your body anytime without a hassle of messing up with your makeup.


Thoughts




Spray tip side

Nozzle side
It has a 2-in-1 dispenser (a spray on one side and a squeeze tip on the other). The nozzle can spray a fine mist; although it has a tendency to spurt, I could still use it over makeup.

Using the squeeze tip side, the product looks like spoilt milk. Its thin texture and cooling effect helps it to sink in quickly. Yet if my skin isn't in the best condition, the sunscreen stings, especially around the back of my neck and cheeks. Despite this, I haven't noticed any prolonged effects, additional sun spots or tanning, so I assume it's doing its job. While I love the concept of this product, unfortunately it doesn't work well with my skin.

Other sunscreens I recommend
A'Pieu Mild Daily Sun Cream (TesterKorea or Jolse)
Too Cool For School Sun Essence (TesterKorea)

Where to buy?

The only stockists I found were based in HKMalaysia and China. Updates to come if I come across an international stockist!

Use code '0711390305' to get $5 USD off your Wishtrend purchase, if you complete your order I'll receive $5 credit for a future purchase too.


If you make a StyleKorean purchase using the link I'll receive a small commission. Thanks for your support!

Comments