[Review] Klairs Mid-day Blue Sun Lotion

DisclaimerLast month Wishtrend held a competition to select 20 Beauty Testers for Klairs Mid-Day Blue Sun Lotion and I was selected as one of the testers. However this hasn't influenced my opinions of this product in any way.


KLAIRS MID-DAY BLUE SUN LOTION SPF 40/PA++

CLAIMS
(paraphrased from the Klairs website): 

- Light, weightless finish without the oily feeling

- Subtle glow following application
- Formulated with guaiazulene to calm irritated skin and tone down redness

PACKAGING?



Normally I love the Klairs aesthetic but when I took the product out from the box I was disappointed. The tube seemed cheap and a bit crude, like something you'd get from Daiso. 

Yep, I'm nitpicky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TEXTURE?

Please note these tests were all performed on different days, and it's not because I felt the need to change my bed hair and clothes for every test. I was also testing different make up products, so you'll see patchy concealer + different coloured eyeliners throughout.

This sunscreen is a physical + chemical sunscreen (or organic + non-organic as kindofstephen explains). As mentioned the blue hue is derived from guaiazulene, a chamomile extract, which is supposed to offer calming properties. A super quick Google search suggests its main functions are for the distinct colour and scented quality, although it also has an antimicrobial function.

When I first swatched it on my hand I was surprised at how mousse-like the texture was. It absorbed into the skin quite easily and left a slightly tacky feeling. The finish was iridescent, like a pearly, highlighter glow that didn't disappear for at least 20 minutes. It also had a distinct, spiced smell like... bak kut teh XD

TONE CORRECTING?

Applying the sunscreen with a make up sponge is supposed to increase its tone-correction qualities, you can take a look at the difference here: 


I found using the sponge does increase the level of 'correction' that occurs, as it helped the sunscreen adhere to the face better. Obviously it doesn't cover the redness like a foundation would, but what it does is does is brighten and reduce the visible redness by leaving a whitecast. As you can see I already have a problem with my face being far paler than my neck so I wasn't too chuffed about that.


 PRIMER CLAIMS?
I wear foundation for at least 7 hours per day. While I have dry skin, my nose is a bit oilier and can get patchy over the course of the day, but usually I can't be bothered applying primer when I'm already running late for uni. 

I applied the Klairs sun lotion + foundation at 2.30pm and removed it at 9.30pm. 


As you can see the foundation is still on my nose and notably, the edges haven't rubbed off hurraw! You can see laugh lines on both sides, but that's something I haven't been able to find a foundation that could take care of anyway.

HYDRATION CLAIMS?

I tested it on some rough, dry patches that have been developing on my neck and while it didn't emphasise the dryness, it didn't hydrate it either. Some days the edges of my mouth becomes flaky as well, but again, there was no visible hydration after application. Ba bow.

COMPARISONS?

From L to R: 
Missha All Around Safe Block Waterproof Sun SPF50 PA+++
Klairs Mid-Day Blue Sun Lotion SPF40 PA++
Biore Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50 PA+++
A'Pieu Pure Block Natural Daily Sun Cream SPF45 PA



I haven't used the Missha one yet other than for swatching purposes. Due its nature as a waterproof, inorganic sunscreen it is thicker and more difficult to blend than the other options.

Biore seems to be a holy grail for a lot of people. I can see why - there's absolutely no whitecast, it's a very light gel texture and it absorbs in a heartbeat. However the alcohol stench has really put me off it, and I'd like to find a different one to replace it.

A'Pieu is the sister brand to Missha, set at a lower price point. It's my go to sunscreen because of its light lotion texture, and skin-like finish. It absorbs almost as quickly as Biore with barely any whitecast and has a heavy citrus smell. The one down side is it doesn't have the priming qualities of the Klairs Sun Lotion.

All of these sunscreens contain 50ml of product. Klairs is priced at USD 20 while the other sunscreens can be purchased for roughly USD 8-13, depending on the online websites you visit.

FINAL VERDICT?

Let's start with the pros. Klairs brightens your skin tone (if that's your thing//your face is more tanned than your neck) and visibly reduces redness. It doubles as an effective primer so it can be cost effective if you're using it to replace two different product types, especially in summer when too many layers can hinder application. It is a lovely shade of blue that has a luminous finish.

Cons: If you're using it solely as a sunscreen, it's pricey at USD20 compared to the other sunscreens I'm using now. I couldn't wear this by itself because the whitecast was ridiculous in sunlight and I already have issues with my face and neck having mismatched skin tones. Finally, I don't think it lives up to its hydration claims.

Comments

  1. It looks really moisturizing! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is really great and I would use thishttp://aminoapps.com/p/kai1tq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the sunscreen works out for you :D

      Delete
  3. I was tempted to try it out since Klairs is one of my fav brands but seems like there are better sunscreens with a cheaper price..
    Amino: Ouma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I love Klairs as well and how they listen to their customers! But depending on your needs & skin type yep there are probably other sunscreens better suited for you :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts