Moonshot Face Perfection Balm Review

Sometimes I worry that you'll get tired of reading about Moonshot, then I see some of my most read posts are their products and I think you guys are still hungry for more. Am I wrong? Let me know and I'll try tossing my money at other brands :P




Claims
Melting Balm Foundation formulated with various essential oil and shea butter compound for perfect skin complexion. It delivers soft, flawless, and glowing finish.

Packaging
30g contained in a frosted glass jar. There's 2 plastic lids; an outer, glossy black screw top lid and an innerlift top lid. The second lid is virtually useless since it came off during transit and stuck itself to the underside of the black lid. I purchased this in a limited edition package that came with their S101 brush, a travel-sized buffing brush.
Ingredients
WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, GLYCERIN, SYNTHETIC WAX, BIS-STEARYL DIMETHICONE, CETYL ETHYLHEXANOATE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, TRIETHYL CITRATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, MYRCIARIA DUBIA FRUIT EXTRACT, AMMONIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYLTAURATE/VP COPOLYMER, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII(SHEA BUTTER), MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER, TBHQ, THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) SEED BUTTER, CAMELLIA JAPONICA SEED OIL, ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL, MACADAMIA TERNIFOLIA SEED OIL, OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, BIOSACCHARIDE GUM-1, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, IRIS FLORENTINA ROOT EXTRACT, SYNTHETIC FLUORPHLOGOPITE, DISODIUM EDTA, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, SILICA, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499, FRAGRANCE


Silicones make up much of the ingredients, followed by a delicious array of moisturising seed butters and oils. This has SPF25 PA++ and seeing as the titanium dioxide comes after the preservatives, the SPF is probably solely provided by the chemical filter ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate. 
  
Shades
The Face Perfection Balm (FPB) is available in 5 shades. I have this in shade 301, the second darkest shade. When swatched against the Dark Spot Concealer, also in shade 301, FPB appears darker and warmer. Is it so hard to ask companies to make sure their shade range across their base products all match up? Apparently so.
Top - Face Perfection Balm one layer
Middle - Face Perfection Balm two layers
Bottom - Dark Spot Concealer



Texture + Scent
This feels like a light gel moisturiser and has a heavy, floral scent that lingers.



Coverage + Finish
Light-medium coverage with a very luminous and glowy finish. It is not transfer-proof.

Experience
On first application I thought I had applied too much which was why it looked orange. After 2 months of ignoring it I came back and realised whatever moisturiser I was using at the time was causing that crazy orange transformation XD After adjusting for this issue, its tendency to oxidise and become several shades darker is still very real. Personally I don't mind this since Korean foundations are often too light for my skin anyway.

Bare skin + skincare. My face is much lighter than my neck, so I match my foundation to the latter

One layer applied to both sides. I used a sponge on the right side (my left) and a buffing brush on the left side. It's difficult to tell in the photo, but the coverage is better with the brush.
When applied sparingly, application is very smooth with a sponge and cushion puff; with more than one layer, I find it easily looks cakey, especially around my cheeks. However I'm not sure if that may be directly related to having dry skin.

The brush that came in the pack is travel sized. I prefer using it to tackle the contours of the face and evening out the product. Its bristles are okay - they're not scratchy and keep their shape well, but it could be denser and softer. With a denser buffing brush such as the one by Nude by Nature, the foundation glides over the skin and leaves no streak marks.


The high oil content must be responsible for the pervading glow that this gives. Even after a 12 hour day the glow persisted and my makeup still looked quite fresh, but creasing around the smile lines is evident after a few hours. It probably won't suit oily skin types unless you prime + powder to stop it from slipping. Even so I'm not entirely sure if it will stay because when I had it on my oily eyelids, eye primer and the ever reliable Too Cool For School Rodin Contour Palette failed to keep my eyelids matte all day.

Final thoughts
Moonshot Face Perfection Balm is my first cream/gel foundation and I'm loving it. A little goes a long way and the finish is so smooth and glowy I can go without highlighter. Its luminous effect continues to amaze me as it remained even after a 12 hour day. It has an issue with oxidisation, which can work to your favour if the usual 'shade 23' is too light for your skintone. Personally I prefer this one over the second generation formula, also known as the Blackpink cushion, because it matches my skintone better after is oxidises. I'll do a review of the cushion next time for a more in-depth comparison, look forward to it!


Until next time,

Vivien | IG @vistillhere
 
Where to Buy
Koreadepart - USD32.50

Above prices were correct at the time of posting and do not include shipping prices, although some websites do provide free shipping services.

Comments