Moonshot for Men Grooming BB Cream + High Cut Sun Cream Review

Everytime I think about Moonshot's men's line I become slightly bitter. When I was at the Bigbang A-Z Exhibition they had a Moonshot popup store and there was a good deal for the MFM line, but they only did tax refunds at the Myeongdong store. The sales assistant assured me they would have the same discount pack at their main store but they liiiiied and now here I am, having ordered them full price from their online store and paying for shipping 

*shakes fist towards my far point*

Let's start with the BB cream cause that's the way the photos uploaded. Moonshot is very consistent with their packaging, it's always sleek, minimal, and they really like glossy black caps.


Claims
"No sticky and oil! BB cream that offers SPF30, PA+++ sun protection while concealing imperfections and dullness naturally, Grooming BB cream for fantastic first experience"


The English isn't great but good on you guys for translating the ingredients <3 As you can see it's a silicone based BB cream and it pairs well with the Moonshot Sun Cream without balling. 


Shades
Comes in 2 shades - Light and Natural Beige.
I have it in Natural Beige, which is a warm toned, light-medium shade:


Coverage
Buildable to a medium. It has a natural, semi-matte finish and doesn't transfer as easily as the Moonfit Cushion i.e. touch your face with your fingers and they'll be clean. Your white clothes will still suffer though.

Application

I tested Moonshot's BB Cream over 2 weeks. My preferred method was using a sponge or cushion and applying in small sections, and in thin layers to build up coverage. Using a Real Techniques buffing brush offered a solid medium coverage, but was often too much effort to perfect on particularly early mornings. Plus, if I dabbed more than a blob all at once, it oxidised too quickly and made me look like I had orange patches.

LHS - pre- application
RHS - post-application

*Takes multiple photos. Only the derp ones have okay lighting*
The white stuff on my face is either the A'Pieu Vitamin Tok Powder or cold sore cream. I'm sure you can figure out which is which.

Actual Wear

The double edged sword of living in Melbourne is the sporadic weather that is difficult to dress for, but also not having to wait until the next season to test products. Initially I tested this BB cream by itself in hot weather and it was the worse performing product I've come across. Despite having dry skin I realised the product had slid right off at ~6 hours and exposed my horrendously inflamed face. A primer + powder + makeup fixer definitely helped to keep things in place.

On cooler days performance was much better because of the level of moisturisation it provides. Have you had a slit lamp examination before? You've got to sit your head against a forehead and chin rest, and I did not want to be leaving any embarrassing foundation stains against the equipment :') Instead, I had the BB cream (no primer or powder) over my cheeks only to even out my skin tone and checked in at various times during the day.

By 7 hours
Some of the coverage had diminished, and settled into the fine lines of my undereyes. This was easily smoothed and patted back into place. On multiple occasions I've teared up from excessive yawning, yet the tear trail never caused the BB cream to budge.

By 10 hours
I could see my smile lines and there was some caking around the nose. Again I could smooth it out without the product completely disappearing

By 16 hours 
It was still sitting comfortably as a light coverage and I noticed it no longer transferred. The fine lines on my 'naked forehead' were more apparent and it was noticeably drier compared to my cheeks.

Overall I was impressed with how it performed during cooler weather given it kept my dry skin moisturised, offered long-lasting light coverage, appears waterproof (although not rain-tested) and didn't need to be set. Good stuff Moonshot!

Where to buy
Moonshot website - US14 + shipping (if order is less than $200)
Koreadepart - US18.24 + shipping

Moonshot For Men High Cut Sun Cream SPF50+ PA+++


Moonshot has 2 sunscreens in their line; this more economically priced option, and then there's the deluxe UV Bouncer that is double the price and doubles as a primer and sunscreen. Money is scarce but sun protection is important, so of course I bought both. I'll probably do a comparison of the two products at a later date, but we'll see how the 'cheapo' version goes first.


Claims
"Grooming sunscreen for fantastic first experience that provides a high level of sun protection against UVA/UVB radiation"

Looks like this is primarily a chemical sunscreen (titanium dioxide isn't found until the second time) which would explain its cosmetic elegance.


Actual wear
Moonshot's sun cream is all about subtlety. It has a light texture coupled with a fresh scent that isn't overpowering (edit - I just realised it smells like a diluted version of the GD EDT). As I rub it in, it has an immediate cooling effect, plus it hydrates, spreads and sinks in quite quickly without leaving a white residue. It's a bit greasy if you forego any wait time and immediately apply your base afterwards (I still do it anyway hahahaha). Fortunately it doesn't rub off easily, and the finish is a smooth and shiny base, ready to take on the world (or just foundation is cool too).


Where to buy
Moonshot website - US14 + shipping (if order is less than $200)
Koreadepart- US18.24 + shipping

Thanks for reading folks. It's third week back at school for me so I haven't written as much as I was aiming for, so perhaps I'll be extending Moonshot March into Moonshot April too? I kid, I've already got another theme planned for then!

Until next time,

Vivien || IG@vistillhere

Comments